Re: two major failures after yesterday updates - RESOLVED

On Sat, 2009-10-31 at 06:24 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
> > hardly surprising at all...consumer grade SATA hard drives have
> become
> > unreliable and that is why none of the manufacturer's warranties
> them
> > beyond a year now.
> >

> Really?  All of my Seagate drives that I purchase here in Taiwan have
> 3
> year warranties.
----
actually some of the WD and Seagate drives have up to a 5 year warranty
but you have to be careful which you buy (I think the Caviar and
Barracuda respectively).

The simple truth is as they have increased densities for higher amounts
of storage, the error rates have remained constant and they are more
prone to failure.

Though I have stopped using RAID-5, this link is pretty sobering...

http://www.enterprisestorageforum.com/technology/features/article.php/3839636

and there are varying grades of SATA drives being sold so there is a
need to be cautious.

Craig

believed to be clean.