Re: [OT] any good online doc for the details of compiling "hello, world"?

On 10/31/2009 01:07 AM, steve wrote:
On 10/30/2009 10:59 PM, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
 On Fri, 30 Oct 2009, Bryn M. Reeves wrote:

 [...snip...]
    that doesn't go as deep as i'd like.  actually, after i thought
 about it a bit longer, i realized that i'd like a document that gets
 into the details of gcc debugging and optimization in the sense of
 actually *explaining* it.  it's one thing to read the gcc manual to
 see what options are available, but it's quite another to truly
 understand what they all represent.

    does such a document exist?

How about http://www.redhat.com/magazine/002dec04/features/gcc/

Sorry i was too quick in replying. On re-reading your mail i realized that you weren't really looking for an high level overview of what gcc does.

Anyways, with regards to the debugging gcc and optimization you might find these links useful:

http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gccint/
http://www.cse.iitb.ac.in/grc/gccdocs.html
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/GNU_C_Compiler_Internals
http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/

and with regards to a document which explains the details of compiling "hello, world", i've never really come across something like that (although I've searched for it). Compilers are complex beasts and the gcc more so. GCC is after all a compiler _collection_.

For just a usage reference, i guess books like these might help:

http://shop.fsf.org/product/using-gcc-gnu-compiler-collection-reference-manual/
http://www.network-theory.co.uk/gcc/intro/

I haven't read either of them tho' so I'm just guessing here.

cheers,
- steve

--
random non tech spiel: http://lonetwin.blogspot.com/