Re: Installing Fedora on USB DiskOnKey and booting from different machine

On 10/30/2009 09:54 AM, Mark Ryden wrote:
Hi,
   I installed Fedora 11 on a DiskOnKey. I booted from this DiskONKey
successfully on the machine
on which I made the installation. However, when I tried on two
different machines, it failed, and it reached the
grub command line. On a third machine it reached a line containing the
word GRUB only.
I wonder - is there a way to install Fedora 11 on a DiskOnKey so that
it will boot from any machine (which is capable of booting from USB )?

Note: I had made my trials on motherboards after verifying  that these
motherboards **do** support boot from
USB disk on key.

This is the grub.conf on the USB DiskOnKey:

title Fedora (2.6.29.4-167.fc11.x86_64)
	root (hd0,0)
	kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.29.4-167.fc11.x86_64 ro root=UUID=e73e50db-2420
-4792-a347-3e15ed38c5b9 rhgb quiet
	initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.29.4-167.fc11.x86_64.img

This is usually caused by the BIOS reordering the drives. Some MoBo will see the thumb drive as the first drive, and some will see it as the last drive, thus confusing grub.

This can often be overcome by asking the BIOS to change the boot order to USB first. On many BIOS this will reorder the drives according to the boot order. However, the only way to guarantee a boot from thumb drive, is to remove all internal drives, which probably defeats the purpose.

Good Luck!