Re: : bash command help - nohup

On 30Oct2009 09:42, Dan Track <dan.track@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
| Hi,
|
| I'm trying to run mutliple commands from the command line while using
| nohup. But I can't seem to get the syntax right, can someone please
| correct this for me
|
| nohup cmd 1;cm2;cmd3
|
| All i get is that cmd1 runs from wiht nohup but the rest run in my
| current shell. I'd like all to be run with the single nohup command,
| any thoughts?

Syntacticly that's three command. A semicolon is like a newline, so its
as though you've typed:

  nohup cmd 1
  cmd2
  cmd3

Since nohup expects one command, you need one command. SInce you want
three, invoke the shell as your command:

  nohup sh -c 'cmd1; cmd2; cmd3'

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
        - Benjamin Disraeli