Re: Can't edit text -

Bob Goodwin wrote:
On 28/10/09 17:12, James Wilkinson wrote:
Bob Goodwin wrote:
    I have two completely updated F-11 computers in which the OpenOffice
    word processor is nearly useless because I can't edit anything?

    I can open a document and copy it to a new file but it doesn't trust
    me to change anything, a matter of permissions perhaps but I can't
    see where to change it.

    Am I alone in this, can anyone tell me what I need to do?

Have you checked SELinux: do you have setroubleshoot installed?

James.

I guess I do, not sure how to tell but when I do locate "setroubleshoot" it produces a long list of files. I haven't had any selinux error messages since installing F-11.

"locate setroubleshoot" will show you a list of files with
'setroubleshoot' somewhere in the path.  If you get a long list, then
you have it installed.  Under Gnome, you can run it by going to:

	Applications->System Tools->SELinux Troubleshooter

My problems appear to occur when I transfer files via sftp. That changed the owner to root. I created a new directory as user "bobg" and moved the files to it, then removed the original directory and recreated it as bobg and put the files back in and things work normally. I imagine all that really needs to be done is to change the owner, the permissions were ok.

Unless you use the "-P" option to the "get" command, then sftp will
change the ownership to whomever you ran sftp as and the permissions
will be set to the umask for that user.  I don't think sftp has any
concept of SELinux contexts, though, so the files may need to be
"restorecon"ned as well after downloading.

Things are working and I know how to cause the problem, another case of knowing what doesn't work. I'm sure it is the result of doing something wrong with sftp. That will take some more investigation I've transferred a lot of files that way without a problem?

Note that "scp" works as well, but the option is "-p", not "-P":

	scp -p remote-machine:/path/to/files /local/path

I prefer it because you can pull down multiple files and subdirectories
as well by using the "-r" option:

	scp -rp remote-machine:/path/to/files /local/path

Whatever floats your boat, I suppose.