Re: Can't edit text -

Bob Goodwin wrote:

>    I have two completely updated F-11 computers in which the OpenOffice
>    word processor is nearly useless because I can't edit anything?
>
>    I can open a document and copy it to a new file but it doesn't trust
>    me to change anything, a matter of permissions perhaps but I can't
>    see where to change it.
>
>    Am I alone in this, can anyone tell me what I need to do?

Can we assume that the border around OOWriter reads some like....

File_Name_you_are_working_on (read-only) OpenOffice.org Writer

Now, you've looked at the permissions of the file you wish to
edit....but did you also check the permissions of the parent
directories?  If, for example, the directory that contains the file is
500 even if the directory is owned by "bobg" and even if the file is set
to 666 you won't be able to edit the file.....

--
Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist ought to have his head examined. --
Samuel Goldwyn Guess Who! http://tinyurl.com/mc4xe7