Re: How to tell IP address of remote machine?

Tim wrote:

>> "firefox http://whatismyipaddress.com/";
>> (where I had to wait for a minute or so to get the response).
>
> Perhaps it's overloaded?  I just tried it, and it took ages responding.
> The other site, responded near instantly.

Thanks very much for your response,
which I shall study carefully.

The waiting-time I mentioned was to get a response on my local machine
when running firefox on the remote machine.
I actually get much the same delay when accessing any site like that,
eg when accessing the remote ADSL modem at 192.168.1.1
from the remote machine.
I always assumed that it was simply due to the amount of data
passed by firefox to my local machine.

> Do you have your own webspace, somewhere external from your LAN?  Does
> it run Apache, or some other webserver where you can run commands, and
> have the instructions for doing so?  You could run your own script to do
> the same thing (tell you your IP address).  (See the end of this message
> for examples.)

I'm not quite sure what you mean.
I'm running apache on my local server.
But the problem I have at the moment is that I get 3 different IP addresses
by 3 methods that have been suggested, and I am not sure which is correct:

1. Accessing whatismyaddress.com , as above
2. Running "traceroute -n www.google.it" on the remote machine
3. Running the program "wget -O - http://ip.tupeux.com | tail"
   on the remote machine, as someone suggested.

Actually, I just tried this again, and (1) and (3) did give
the same address, 95.234.132.149 .
(Yesterday they gave different addresses, I think.)
I can ping this address,but ssh-ing from my local system fails,
or rather hangs:
[tim@rose Documents]$ ssh -v 95.234.132.149
OpenSSH_5.2p1, OpenSSL 0.9.8k-fips 25 Mar 2009
debug1: Applying options for *
debug1: Connecting to 95.234.132.149 [95.234.132.149] port 22.
^C
I guess I have not set ssh up properly at some point ...

This did work some time ago, before I upgraded the remote machine
to CentOS-5.4 .

But I'll study the rest of your posting more carefully later,
as I said.
Thanks again.

--
Timothy Murphy