Re: Qemu vs VMWare

On Sunday 25 October 2009 22:20:33 Sam Sharpe wrote:
> How did you install your virtual machines,

I opened "Virtual Machine Manager" from the menu (F10 64bit, KDE, fully
updated), and created a guest using the wizard that appeared. I was nicely
surprised with the user-friendliness.

Of course, virt-manager first complained about some daemon not running, selinux
complained that qemu is trying to create vm files in a non-default place, etc.,
but those were not big problems to solve, and I handled them. After that the
wizard went smoothly.

> and do you have Hardware
> Virtualisation support enabled on your chipset?

Not only that it isn't enabled, it rather doesn't exist (see my other post in
the thread). But that does not explain for such a big performance difference
between qemu and vmware. They both run without hardware support here.

> I use Virt Manager to install guests all the time. That uses KVM as
> the virtualisation infrastructure, which in turn uses qemu-kvm as a
> backend.

Same thing here, I think. Only, KVM doesn't seem to do anything when
virtualization is all-software.

How do I check which backend is being used? I didn't find any info on that in
the GUI.

> So I think (and don't take this the wrong way) that you're probably
> doing it all wrong - and that's why your performance is so bad! Qemu
> on it's own is Software virtualisation, with absolutely no
> acceleration at all - if that's what you are using, I'm not surprised
> it sucks ;o)

Yes, that's what I am using, and yes --- as you say --- it sucks, but I'm
surprised that vmware works visibly better in same conditions. Same hardware,
same all-software-virtualization, same type of guest. The only difference is
that vmware guest has the vmware-tools package installed, which visibly
improves its performance. I failed to find an equivalent tools package for qemu
guest.

I did read (ok, skimmed through) qemu docs, but found no information on how to
improve qemu performance. So what am I doing wrong?

Best, :-)
Marko