Re: How to tell IP address of remote machine?

On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 13:39:19 +0000
Timothy Murphy wrote:

> (The remote machine is attached to an ADSL modem.
> I can get the IP address by accessing the modem,
> but I am not sure how I could automate this.
> I guess I could use lynx, and try to abstract the address ...)

Yep, I've got a cron script I run on my machine to access
my linksys router using curl to get the raw html data (since
for some reason curl is better at sending the password) and
lynx to un-html the data and make it simpler to extract with
a perl script.

My IP addr hasn't changed in years, but the DNS servers
keep changing, and I extract them as well and update
my forwarders in named.conf.