Re: New scanner/printer combo

On Saturday 24 October 2009, Louis Lagendijk wrote:

>> >and this is the strange part: why does it not show the scanner? What
>> >does lsusb return? Does the scanner work under Windows? Not that it
>> >matters much as the scanner seems not supported by Sane right now. But
>> >maybe this is just a matter of adding the usb id....
>> >
>> >Louis
>>
>> The scanner does show in an lsusb -v, but not without the -v, here is a
>> snippet:
>> ==========================
>> Bus 001 Device 002: ID 04b8:0856 Seiko Epson Corp.
>> Device Descriptor:
>>   bLength                18
>>   bDescriptorType         1
>>   bcdUSB               2.00
>>   bDeviceClass            0 (Defined at Interface level)
>>   bDeviceSubClass         0
>>   bDeviceProtocol         0
>>   bMaxPacketSize0        64
>>   idVendor           0x04b8 Seiko Epson Corp.
>>   idProduct          0x0856
>>   bcdDevice            1.00
>>   iManufacturer           1 EPSON
>>   iProduct                2 USB2.0 MFP(Hi-Speed)
>>   iSerial                 3 4C454C593037313524
>>   bNumConfigurations      1
>>   Configuration Descriptor:
>>     bLength                 9
>>     bDescriptorType         2
>>     wTotalLength           78
>>     bNumInterfaces          3
>>     bConfigurationValue     1
>>     iConfiguration          4 USB2.0 MFP(Hi-Speed)
>>     bmAttributes         0xc0
>>       Self Powered
>>     MaxPower                2mA
>>     Interface Descriptor:
>>       bLength                 9
>>       bDescriptorType         4
>>       bInterfaceNumber        0
>>       bAlternateSetting       0
>>       bNumEndpoints           2
>>       bInterfaceClass       255 Vendor Specific Class
>>       bInterfaceSubClass    255 Vendor Specific Subclass
>>       bInterfaceProtocol    255 Vendor Specific Protocol
>>       iInterface              5 EPSON Scanner
>>       Endpoint Descriptor:
>>         bLength                 7
>>         bDescriptorType         5
>>         bEndpointAddress     0x01  EP 1 OUT
>>         bmAttributes            2
>>           Transfer Type            Bulk
>>           Synch Type               None
>>           Usage Type               Data
>>         wMaxPacketSize     0x0200  1x 512 bytes
>>         bInterval               0
>>       Endpoint Descriptor:
>>         bLength                 7
>>         bDescriptorType         5
>>         bEndpointAddress     0x82  EP 2 IN
>>         bmAttributes            2
>>           Transfer Type            Bulk
>>           Synch Type               None
>>           Usage Type               Data
>>         wMaxPacketSize     0x0200  1x 512 bytes
>>         bInterval               0
>>     Interface Descriptor:
>>       bLength                 9
>>       bDescriptorType         4
>>       bInterfaceNumber        1
>>       bAlternateSetting       0
>>       bNumEndpoints           2
>>       bInterfaceClass         7 Printer
>>       bInterfaceSubClass      1 Printer
> [...]
Thank you  Louis, I pulled everything related and will have an install fest
shortly, as in a couple of days.  Or less.  I see there were rpms for it, so
I'll try them first, right now in fact. Oh oh, it seems to be looking for
kernels in the 2.6.31.corner:
[root@coyote rpms]# rpm -Uvh Epson-MFD-*
Preparing...                ###########################################
[100%]
   1:pipslite               ########################################### [
50%]
Install Message > Described entry of LITE in services.
Install Message > Backup file is /etc/services.bak.
Install Message > Start /usr/lib/pipslite/setup to change setup.
Install Message > Start /usr/bin/pipslite-install to make ppd file.
   2:iscan                  ###########################################
[100%]

gzip: /boot/initrd-2.6.31.1.img.old: unexpected end of file
cpio: premature end of archive

gzip: /boot/initrd-2.6.31.2.img.old: unexpected end of file
cpio: premature end of archive

gzip: /boot/initrd-2.6.31.2-rc1.img.old: unexpected end of file
cpio: premature end of archive

gzip: /boot/initrd-2.6.31.3.img.old: unexpected end of file
cpio: premature end of archive

gzip: /boot/initrd-2.6.31.4.img.old: unexpected end of file
cpio: premature end of archive

Those files are probably zero length files and are an artifact of the method
my "makeit" scripts goes about installing a new kernel.  I keep a backup of
the previous version, and the only way to do that is with touch, then rm
because if rm can't find it, its showstopper error to my script.

Running /usr/lib/pipslite/setup I set it to be lp3 and saved it.  So I jumped
through a few hoops, and added it to cups, but it won't be of any use to me
as it only has 2 paper size settings, A4 and some small photo size.

Ok, the scanner;  That looks easy enough, but again the size of the scan is
stuck at A4 and no option in the gui can change it.  I told it to copy a cups
test sheet on letter and the printer is merrily munching away, using the cups
NX400 lp2 preset.  I will also change it to use the lp3 version as this color
looks a wee bit washed out.  It also expanded the image to fit an A4 I
believe, the upper, lower and left edges are trimmed quite a bit.

I wonder it there are USian, letter sized downloads available...  Lacking the
scan area trims of xsane, it isn't anywhere near as usable as xsane is.

Thanks again Louis, at least I know it works now.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Even bytes get lonely for a little bit.