Re: input/output error on disk(?)

On 09-10-17 14:35:45, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 17, 2009 at 12:17:36 -0400,
>   Tony Nelson <tonynelson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Sadly, you have not fixed any of the bad blocks by deleting the
> > files.  The bad blocks will only be replaced when they are written
> > to.  Now that the files are deleted, you will need to write to all
> > the free space of the drive to write to the defective blocks.  This
> > should do the trick (as root, or from the Rescue CD):
>
> He should be able to get the sector numbers by running long self
> tests.  On the disks I have own, this only gets you one sector per
> scan rewrite cycle.

He gets some of them, then the test aborts.  He needs to fix at least
those sectors in order to proceed with the test.

> Also note that linux tools such as dd write 8 sectors
> at a time and if you try to write less than that, a read will be
> tried first which will most likely fail because of the bad sector.

I don't think he uses dd.  As all the defective files have been
deleted, the command I gave should write all the bad sectors in about
the time to do a long test, even bad sectors that haven't been reported
yet due to the self-test aborting (though I should have said "rm -f").