pulseaudio and multiple sound cards?

I now have two soundcards in my system, the built in sound
on the motherboard, and a separate cheap PCI card I added to
get an optical output for passthrough when playing dvds.

If I wanted to give pluseaudio another chance on my system,
is there any way to configure it to make sure the pulseaudio
daemon doesn't take over the 2nd sound card?

I'd like to leave it completely free to use with direct alsa
hardware output from mplayer.