Re: input/output error on disk(?)

On 09-10-17 01:14:42, charles zeitler wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 16, 2009 at 7:49 PM, charles zeitler
> <cfzeitler@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > thanks for the help, Tony.
> > i finally checked the results of cat'ing to /dev/null,
> > which found 11 troubled files. having removed them,
> > am now running smartctl -t on umounted disk.
> >

> >>    # tar -cvf - --ignore-failed-read --one-file-system / \
> >>      2>/some/other/volume/tarfiles.txt | cat >/dev/null
> >>
> >> Good luck.
> >>
> >> --
> >
> second try  of smartctl -t  yielded the same results-
> i may have removed    files from 11 bad blocks-
> and missed the first.

Sadly, you have not fixed any of the bad blocks by deleting the files.
The bad blocks will only be replaced when they are written to.  Now
that the files are deleted, you will need to write to all the free
space of the drive to write to the defective blocks.  This should do
the trick (as root, or from the Rescue CD):

    # cp /dev/zero junk ; rm junk

> am now running the tar seq. above (fingers crossed)

I don't expect it to find any defective files, as you already deleted
them.