Re: kickstart -- refreshing rpm's.

On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 21:04:05 -0700
stan <gryt2@xxxxx> wrote:

> I got a lot farther with your instructions than I did before.  I think
> I am at the ISO creation stage, and it is choking because I didn't do
> something that it wants.  I'm not sure what the purpose of treeinfo
> is. I'll keep plugging away.  Maybe I'll just create a liveCD for
> practice, or create the default Fedora configuration.
>
> I'm not on the F11 system right now as I am based in F12 mostly these
> days, but I think I used pretty much your pungi build line, except I
> took out the --nosplitmedia because I'm building CDs and I added
> --nodebuginfo and --force because of all the restarts I have done.  I
> tried adding --selfhosting to get around the treeinfo issue, no dice.
> I see --fulltree, but I think that requires a source build so I won't
> be trying that.  I'll look in the pungi source to see if I can find
> any clue to why it is complaining (or some quick and dirty hack to
> bypass the error :-0  ).

A followup just to continue the saga and document the process. I traced
this a little further and was able to narrow it down.

It looks like there is something wrong in the call to the anaconda
buildinstall shell script.  It is coded to call maketreeinfo.py and
makestamp.py, but they aren't being called.  Or perhaps they are being
called and failing quietly.  I didn't trace through the shell logic, I
manually created .treeinfo and .discinfo files based on the python code,
and the process got through this step, but choked when it came time to
split the repository into CDs. The error was something about not finding
isolinux in makeisofs. I specifically asked for CDROM in the kickstart
file, telling it to split at the default 695 MB, but it wanted to make a
DVD. I'm going to look at the mock configuration files to see if they
are setting defaults that are incorrect for what I want to do. There is
some confusion in my mind about the i386 / i586 dichotomy in the files
as they seem to be used interchangeably sometimes, and other times not.

Because pungi was able to successfully create the repository, I can put
that repository in the kickstart file as a repository and avoid a *lot*
of downloading, picking up only the updates.

repo --name=local-dl  --baseurl=file:///<path-to-directory-containing Packages>

The pungi man page is incorrect, there is no --discs option anymore as
it was taken out in August of 2008.  I presume that there is some
automated way that the program is supposed to determine the number of
discs now, but didn't check the logic chain.

The .treefileinfo and .discinfo go in the .topdir, and from memory that
is (in the mock chroot defined in your script)
/compose/<high level qualifier, defaults to date>/<arch, e.g. i386>/os/

For completeness, I've attached the .treeinfo and .discinfo files.
They are manually created, so could be wrong, but illustrate the format.

I think the whole process is very close to working.  And this is
becoming a *very* educational experience.  Fortunately, the deadline is
distant (the end of Fedora 11 support), so I can experiment with it at
my leisure.

98785.34220
Fedora11-text
i586
0

[checksums]
repodata/repomd.xml = sha256:f8e44331650eab9c7b2b32176e5610fc74fd6223deeefb13c9f35035edfc5b15

[general]
family = fedora
timestamp = 98785.34220
packagedir = /compose/11/i386/os/Packages
variant = text
totaldiscs = 8
version = 11
discnum = 1