Re: Fedora 11 and MAC external drive

On Tue, October 13, 2009 5:49 am, Mick M. wrote:
> Hello list;
>  I have a friend that has a Mac laptop.
> We want to share an external USB drive.
>
> How should I format the drive?

If no Windows boxes will need to access the drive, I would also
recommend non-journaled HFS+ (Macs call it also "Mac OS Extended").
It's native to OS X, Linux has a full read/write support for it, and
you get to preserve UNIX style file ownerships, permissions, symbolic
links, etc.  Just make sure it's non-journaled, because, as other
readers pointed out, Linux can only read journaled HFS+, not write to
it.

There are few Fedora packages you might need or find useful:
hfsplus-tools, hfsplusutils.

HTH,
Srdan