Re: Position about Mono

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
On 10/12/2009 04:49 PM, davide wrote:
Hi guys,
I would like to know the RedHat's postion (and Fedora's -if
different-) about Mono.
I don't want to start a flame. I'm asking because I've read in some
blogs (sorry, lost pointers) that Fedora wish to stay Mono-free, and
someone shows the gnote as tomboy replacement as a proof.

I tried to look for Mono-policy and discussion in Fedora wiki, but not luck.

There isn't any official Fedora legal policy that is specific to Mono.
Fedora legal policies are not language or runtime specific. I can't
speak for Red Hat (or RHEL) but Fedora has accepted Mono (due to OIN
which you can read more about at
http://gregdek.livejournal.com/4008.html) and Mono applications are
available in the repository and I don't see that changing.

Is there any way to absolutely prevent Mono from being installed, like the mononono.deb available for other distributions? As long as the threat of software patents exists, I don't want that infection anywhere near my computers.

Bob McConnell
N2SPP