sendmail configuring port numbers

I'm running sendmail 8.14.3 on fedora 10 and I need help understanding how to
work with listening ports. I have two machines which I will call "A" and "B".
  "A" has two NICs: eth0 is connected to the outside, and "B" is connected to
eth1 on "A". "A" is the sendmail server for the domain and is the SMART_HOST
for "B". In addition, "A" is the server for a couple of lists (all legit,
thank you) which sends about 500K messages out per month and gets about 500 in
per day.

The list manager running on "A" was configured to send to localhost:24, and
the mail client I personally run on "A" uses localhost:25.

I recently tightened a few things up in my sendmail.mc to prevent incoming
mail with a large number of recipients. I did this by setting:

define(`confMAX_RCPTS_PER_MESSAGE', `20')dnl
which for me makes sense. (Am I wrong?) :-(

In addition, my sendmail.mc contains:

DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Name=MTA')
DAEMON_OPTIONS(`address=localhost, Port=24, Name=NCMSA, M=EC')

The submit.mc is stock and has

FEATURE(`msp', `[127.0.0.1]')dnl

Then I found out that when I tried to send a personal message to a
larger list of people, my MUA failed with 'Too many recipients".

I think I know what I want to do (though I could be wrong).

* I want all local messages to be processed by submit.mc instead of by
sendmail.mc
* I want sendmail.mc to only listen on port 25 of eth0
* I want submit.mc to listen on port 25 and port 24 of localhost.

The idea is to get people on the outside to conform to restrictions
but to not impose those restrictions to us good guys on the inside.

I did try to move the line that said DAEMON_OPTIONS Port=24 to the
submit.mc
This did not work. When I tried to
telnet localhost 24
604 > telnet localhost 24
Trying 127.0.0.1...
telnet: connect to address 127.0.0.1: Connection refused

Am I trying to do something that is a good idea? Can someone tell me
how to do it if it is? Do I need to provide more information?

Thanks.

steveo at syslang.net