Re: easiest way to replace hard drive?

Joel Gomberg wrote:
> On 10/08/2009 09:48 AM, Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Is there an easy way to transfer a system from one drive (holding boot,
>> swap, lvm partitions, in the default F11 layout) to a different hard
>> drive, if the new drive is smaller?
>>
>> If the new drive is larger, dd could be used in a fairly straightforward
>> way.

Tools like parted work better - they only copy the data on file
systems they know about. But they do not handle LVM yet. They can
only do a full copy - about like using dd to copy a partition.

>> However, I want to try replacing a 160 GB hard drive with an Intel 80 GB
>> solid-state drive, just for fun...
>
> Clonezilla worked like a charm for me, but I was going from a smaller
> drive to a larger one.  I believe that it can handle your situation.

It does not handle changing the size of LVM partitions. So you are
probably going to be stuck with resizing them first.

Mikkel