Re: F11 live CD install Q re dual boot partitioning

On 10/07/2009 11:25 AM, Quinney, Matthew wrote:
When installing F11 from the Live CD, during the partitioning for dual
boot, there is a box labeled "volume to shrink" with a drop down menu
for the volume and a size box labeled "shrink target(in MB)".  Is this
the size by which to shrink the original volume or is it the size to
which the volume will be shrunk.  It is kind of an important distinction
if you want to preserve what you originally had, but I have not been
able to figure that out from an afternoon of looking through docs and
past list questions (perhaps I'm not searching using the right
phrases?).

Thanks,  Matt

Hi Matt,

I just did an 'install to hard drive' from F11-Live to an Acer Netbook with
Vista on the entire disk.  I pondered over the same question for awhile...
Since the netbook has a recovery partition, so I went ahead and made an
educated guess.  If I remember right, the 'volume to shrink' indicates the
size of the original Vista partition and the 'shrink target' box has the
current Vista usage. So I took the 'volume to shrink' size minus the size of
new F11 partition and enter that number in the 'shrink target' field.

Everything worked out OK and a new F11 was installed without a hitch...

--
Bob