Re: Old laptop for a media server ? (F11, mediaTomb, transcoding, uPNP server, etc.)

On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 2:38 AM, Linuxguy123 <linuxguy123@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>We need a media server to serve large digital
> images to client computers running digikam and we also want to run
> mediatomb to act as a server for our laptops and our uPNP capable tv.
>
> The 5100 has a Pentium 4 running at 2.66 MHz.  Right now it has 256 MB
> of RAM, but I think I have 1 GB sitting around here for it.
>
> Will it do the job ?

One of my NAS file servers is an Intel Storage Station.
http://images.fixya.com/I/Intel/177x150/20688197.JPG

Inside it is a Pentium 1 MMX, with 32 MB of RAM, running FreeeBSD and samba.

Oh, it´s nine years old+ and counting. And working...

Go figure.
FC