Re: Installing Windows afterFedora

Aldo Foot wrote:
On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 4:19 PM, Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx> wrote:
I have managed to go for just under a decade without a Windows machine, but
now I need to have such, and I'd like to add it to an existing machine with
a large enough partition which was used as work area for a project since
shipped. The problem is that while I've put Fedora (and Linux back to SLS
and Slackware on 2.2 kernels) on Windows machines, I haven't done it with
anything else after, Linux has always been "the last OS you'll ever need"
for dual boot.

I'm not worried about the grub.conf, but the boot sector could be an issue,
I have seen reports that XP with patches and Win7 check the boot sector now
(XP at patch level 3). other than having to rewrite the boot sector, is that
going to be an issue? Any other things I should know?

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
____

I used to have the same concerns.
The only problem is that Windows must be installed first.

That's not happening here, I'll be adding Windows to an existing system.

I had WinXP installed in a PC, then installed F11. Clean setup. Later
decided to wipe the F11
and used the WinXP "Repair" feature to rewrite the Windows MBR and the
system would
not to erase
the F11 setup, then I'd reinstall GRUB to be back to dual boot.

You can change the boot with Win MBR by diddling the active/boot bit with fdisk (or could), but grub is cleaner. There's a Win boot manager, I haven't used it, and I think the M/B has a boot manager in the BIOS, which might be my way out if things go badly. ;-)

Thanks for the thought.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>