Re: Latest updates are missing a dependency

Ed Greshko wrote:
Bill Davidsen wrote:
Ed Greshko wrote:
Bill Davidsen wrote:
Ed Greshko wrote:
Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
An attempt to install the latest updates produced the following
errors from yumex.  Machine is x86_64 with all updates except the
latest.
jon

Missing Dependency: libibus.so.0()(64bit) is needed by package
ibus-chewing-1.2.0.20090818-1.fc11.x86_64 (installed)
Missing Dependency: libibus.so.0()(64bit) is needed by package
ibus-m17n-1.1.0.20090211-5.fc11.x86_64 (installed)
Missing Dependency: libibus.so.0()(64bit) is needed by package
ibus-hangul-1.1.0.20090328-2.fc11.x86_64 (installed)
Missing Dependency: libibus.so.0()(64bit) is needed by package
ibus-rawcode-1.0.0.20090303-3.fc11.x86_64 (installed)

This type of thing happens from time to time.  Lucky for us it isn't a
terminal disease.  If you desire to update other packages you can
always
do "yum --skip-broken update".  And then chill for a time while the
broken issues get resolved.

Given that the upgrade installs a new kernel (2.6.30.8-64 from memory)
which doesn't do networking, more than chill is required. I did this
to my production laptop, then managed to do it again on a desktop.
Since it happened after midnight, I just saved a dmesg for
investigation, I assume all networking is dead since the desktop had
the same problem.

Manual booting into an older kernel worked on the desktop, the laptop
old kernel doesn't like something in the partial upgrade which did
take place, so I'm somewhat hung on that one.

????

All is working here just fine after skipping the broken updates.  So,
I've no idea as to what you've managed to accomplish.  But since you've
decided to keep all the dmesg output for investigation private I suspect
nobody will be able to help you either.

Didn't need help, just a few hours sleep and time to spend an hour
looking. dmesg actually just showed one NIC not detected, the one
needed for networking, of course. Problem solved.

Glad to hear it is working again.....  Too bad you've decided not to
share what the solution to your problem was.  It is usually good form
when informing folks of an "issue" (that you seem to be connecting with
a given update )what the final solution was so as to help others who may
encounter the same issue.  We are left to wonder...why the NIC wasn't
detected...hardware issue?...and what was done to fix the problem...

The NIC not detected failed on the newest kernel because the upgrade failed before kmod-wl was upgraded. The previous kernel also didn't see the NIC, not sure why, the dmesg just didn't see it. It could have happened in my attempts to manually get things working again. The kernel before that, 2.6.29-?? saw the NIC and was what I finally used to finish the upgrade. I could have moved the machine to a cable and used the other NIC, that is a supported hardware.

Someone wrote and noted that they lost their console and were using a kmod video driver, that sounds like the same problem. They just booted the old kernel.

If there's a lesson here it's that you should keep a few (more than one) previous kernels in case an upgrade has an issue.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>