Re: ibus still broken

On 10/02/2009 03:08 PM, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Tait Clarridge wrote:
>> On Thu, 2009-10-01 at 15:32 -0600, Stuart McGraw wrote:
>>> I asked here a few days ago about ibus
>>> which broke after I did a yum update.
>>>
>>> No one responded but I saw some other posts
>>> about different problems with ibus so I
>>> waited until some new updates appeared.
>>>
>>> However after upgrading again just now, it
>>> is still broken -- still no input editor
>>> appears when I type the enable sequence.
>>> However now the (new) ibus icon says "no
>>> input window" when left-clicked.
>>>
>>> Is ibus ever going to work?  I write non-
>>> english emails everyday and Fedora is
>>> useless to me without a working ibus.
>>> At this point I wonder if I should blow
>>> off Fedora and and just return to Windows?
>>>

>> I can confirm that it has worked for me as of today on X86_64
>>
>> I did it last night on my i386 laptop by doing the following (found
>> online).
>>
>> yum downgrade ibus-libs
>> yum update
>>
>> Hope this helps
>>
> I believe that Stuart's problem is that once you break ibus it will never dig
> its way out using only the 'upgrade' command, since something appears
> half-updated. I did successful upgrades on a number of system after the problem,
> but on the two systems which had an initial problem a simple upgrade fails. I
> will try downgrading and see if that helps. One system will not do networking
> since the upgrade failed, so I'm not sure what's up with that, it just broken.

I "rpm -e" all my ibus* and anthy packages, then reinstalled the
old versions from my f11 dvd repo.  I still have the same problem.
I also notice that the ibus desktop icon is still the "new" icon
(the one that appeared after I'd done the updates), not the icon
which was present after my original f11 install which I think
looked different.  So it seems that some unrevertible changes
have been made.