Re: reorganizing /home's

On Thu, 1 Oct 2009, Frode Petersen wrote:

Michael Hennebry skrev:
I'm dual booting F9 and F11.
There is a partition that mounts on F9:/home and on F11:/home.
I suspect that my ~/.* directories are stepping on each other.
I want to reorganize so that the to-be-former home partition
mounts on F9:/homes and on F11:/homes.
F9:/home would be a symbolic link to /homes/F9.
F11:/home would be a symbolic link to /homes/F11.
User fred would have home directories with canonical names
/homes/F9/fred and /homes/F11/fred .
Each would have a symbolic link to /homes/fred,
his old home directory.

I have a somewhat similar setup between F10 and CentOS 5.3. I don'tknow if it fits your situation, but this is what I do:

- a /home partition for each system (root:root) (5 GB in my case)
   - contains home directories for each user (as normal)
- a /home/homework common partition (root:root) (60 GB)
   - each user has a directory with the same name
       and uid:gid as in /home
   - each user has a trash directory with the same uid:gid as above
       The name of the trash dir has to be ".Trash-<uid number>"
- in /home/<username>: symlink named "work" pointing to
       /home/homework/<username>/work
       This is where all work files go, so you would move them
       here from your old home.

I'm trying to do roughly the same thing.
There are two important differences:
I'm not starting from scratch.
The split is mostly to deal with configuration conflicts.
To that end, I am not going to repartition.
The common /home partition will become the common /homes partition,
to which will be added directories F9 and F11.
F9 and F11 will contain user home directories.
With bind or symbolic links, F9 and F11 will also have the name /home .

You have to enter uid and gid numbers yourself when you create users on the second system to make sure they are the same on both systems.

Another thing to remember is that devices might be named differently. F9 and F11 should probably not be a problem, but the two DVD-RW readers I have, one IDE and one SATA, was named differently on my system. I had to create symlinks in ~ (.idecdburner and .satacdburner) pointing to the correct device names and configure apps to use those.

If you want all the .-files and .-directories to be shared between the two OS instances, this would probably be an impractical way to go about it, but if

It's what I am trying to avoid.

the work files are what you try to share, it might be worth consideration.

--
Michael   hennebry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"Pessimist: The glass is half empty.