Re: CF and Swapless Fedora

Marco Devillers wrote:
> Hi all, I own a Macbook Air and have been running FC9 for a while on
> that, it is my development machine.
>
> The HD committed suicide.
>
> Now, I think I'll opt to replace the HD with a CF in SATA mounted drive.
>
> Two questions:
> 1. How big should the CF be?
If I understand this correctly, you are putting a CF card is a CF to
SATA converter and using that as your only drive. If this is
correct, then you will have to decide how much room you need for the
software packages you need, plus your development needs. This is not
something anyone else can determine without a lot more information.

> 2. How can I change Fedora such that it will use part of the ram memory
> for swap?

Using RAM for swap defeats the purpose if having swap in the first
place. Swap space is for when you do not have enough physical
memory. If you do not want to create swap space on the CF, then I
would run without any swap space. Creating a RAMdisk to use as swap
is possible, but not practical.

Mikkel