Re: NFS causing slooooow boot

Tom Horsley wrote:
On Wed, 30 Sep 2009 10:03:25 -0700
Rick Stevens wrote:

If your boot requires an NFS volume to satisfy your /etc/fstab
requirements

I really, really, wish there was an fstab option I could add to nfs
files that said: "Hey Mr. Mounter - when you go to mount this,
just background it immediately, don't wait."

There is.  Read below.

That would make it much more convenient to have entries in fstab
for nfs mounts to systems which may or may not actually be up
at the time I'm booting.

Have you tried the "bg" option for the entry in /etc/fstab?  I might
even suggest "bg,soft":

	server:/export   /mountpoint  nfs   options,bg,soft 0 0

or

	1.2.3.4:/export  /mountpoint  nfs   options,bg,soft 0 0

Replace "options" with your list of options and tack on ",bg,soft" as
I've shown.  "man 5 nfs" for details.