Re: How do I change from a regular kernel to a PAE kernel ?

On Tue, 2009-09-29 at 20:23 -0700, Kam Leo wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 7:27 PM, Linuxguy123 <linuxguy123@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > My laptop has 4GB of RAM. It is currently using only 3 GB of RAM.  I
> > want to upgrade to 8 GB of RAM.
> >
> > I am currently using a 32 bit non PAE kernel.  How do I change to using
> > a PAE kernel ?
>
> yum install kernel-PAE
>
> Note: There may be additional packages which need to be installed,
> e.g. kernel-PAE-devel, kmod-nvidia-PAE, etc.

For the record, I did:

yum install kernel-PAE
yum install kernel-PAE-devel

I already had akmod-nvidia installed.  (Which rocks, btw.)

I knew that akmod-nvidia needed a -devel package because I used to
manually build my nvidia drivers.  But I didn't realize that the PAE
kernels had their own -devel, but then I should have because its an
option in the kernel setup if you build your own kernel. DUH !

> I'm surprised that Anaconda did not detect that your processor was an
> i686 and automatically install the PAE kernel.

I've been running this installation since Fedora 8 and I think there was
a time period when the PAE kernels were not available.  And everything
since then has been an upgrade/update, so Anaconda probably isn't
getting to look at what kernel I might need.

> > What difference in speed will I notice in doing this ?

Everything seems faster, but I also changed kernels and there was a yum
update to KDE at the same time, so I can't tell how much is from the new
kernel version, the new kde updates and from PAE.  In any event, I am a
happy camper.

Thanks for the replies.