Re: I think something is 'stuck' on the fedoara-list ?!? [SOLVED - kinda]

Thanks poc;

On Mon, 2009-09-28 at 11:29 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-09-28 at 10:37 -0400, William Case wrote:
> > Just for future reference, and to add to my own personal knowledge, I
> > wish I had a better idea of what was going on.  I have wasted 2 or 3
> > hours try to figure out what I did wrong when I probably haven't done
> > anything I shouldn't have.  It would be nice to be able to recognize
> > the source of this kind of problem.
>
> Bill, in my days as the guy where the buck stops for a University user
> community, one of the things I constantly had to explain was that email
> doesn't obey strict rules of time-ordering as seen by the user, and the
> fact that a message hasn't arrived *yet* wasn't necessarily my fault.
>
> It's quite illuminating to study how email actually works, end-to-end.

I have had the opportunity to read a great deal about email messaging,
internet packets and protocols.  So, I am not starting at stage zero.
However, this is the first time I have had a real question rather than
just a theoretical one.  For that reason alone, to me, the question of
delayed reception of emails is worth pursuing.

> It's enormously more complex than most people realize, in fact it's
> something of a miracle that it works at all :-)

I understand that it is a complex question and that emails are not
guaranteed to arrive in a set order but can bounce around all over the
place.  However, in this case, something that has not been 'normal' in
the past is now happening.  It makes the question of what is causing the
delay worthwhile for me to investigate, if only to learn a practical
side of this 'email thing'.

--
Regards Bill
Fedora 11, Gnome 2.26.3