Re: BIOS update

On Mon, 2009-09-28 at 00:04 +0400, Hiisi wrote:
> 2009/9/27 Gilboa Davara <gilboad@xxxxxxxxx>:
> <--SNIP-->
> >> BIOS.exe. The error is: 'This program can't be run in DOS'
> >
> > Make sure you've downloaded the DOS version of their flash utility.
> > (Usually called... flash.exe).
> > I'm using in on a number of Gigabyte boards using freedos and it works
> > just fine.
> >
> >> I have VirtualBox installed on the computer. Is it possible to update
> >> BIOS from window$XP on virtual machine as guest?
> >
> > Nope.
> > Virtual machines cannot really see real hardware. (Hence the name
> > "virtual".)
> >
> >> Thanks in advance!
> >
> > P.S. which board is it?
> >
>  From lshw output:
>        product: S651MPRZ
>        vendor: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
>        physical id: 0
>
> There's no flash.exe on gigabyte page:
> http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/BIOS_Model.aspx?ProductID=1792
>
> > - Gilboa

Please downloaded your BIOS and follow my instruction. (I tested them on
my Fedora - minus the flash, most of my Gigabyte boards are AMD
based...)

$ mkdir Temp
$ cd Temp
$ wget
http://europe.giga-byte.com/FileList/BIOS/motherboard_bios_s651mprz_f8.exe
$ WINEPREFIX=$PWD wine motherboard_bios_s651mprz_f8.exe
$ ls
autoexec.bat  dosdevices  drive_c  FLASH891.EXE
motherboard_bios_s651mprz_f8.exe  s651mprz.f8

Now copy the FLASH891.EXE and s651mprz.f8 and autoexec.bat files to your
freedos and floppy / USB disk / FAT partition / freedos network boot
image and flash the BIOS.

Delete the Temp directory once your down.

- Gilboa