Re: scim - Fedora 11

Craig White wrote:
> Maybe it's me and my lack of understanding about this but it seems that
> since I updated to Fedora 11, that scim-python works only in KDE
> programs like Kwrite, Konsole but not in gnome (evolution, pidgin, OOo).
>
> No matter what I do in those 3 programs, I only have English for input
> language, even if the SCIM icon in the system tray shows 'Python Pin
> Yin'
>
> $ rpm -qa|grep scim
> scim-1.4.8-3.fc11.i586
> scim-python-pinyin-0.1.13rc1-5.fc11.i586
> scim-libs-1.4.8-3.fc11.i586
> scim-python-0.1.13rc1-5.fc11.i586
>
> $ rpm -qa|grep zh
> autocorr-zh-3.1.1-19.2.fc11.i586
> openoffice.org-langpack-zh_CN-3.1.1-19.2.fc11.i586
>
> Am I missing something? Is there a gnome package that's needed?
>
> I don't mean to make this a question for Ed. ;-)

I've been using/testing ibus since I've heard it may be the replacement
for SCIM....

Anyway, I installed SCIM and it all works fine for me in  GNOME.  But, I
screwed up and installed everything (like I normally do) and not just
the packages you've indicated.

You may want to try installing the scim-bridge* packages and then go
through the exercise of setting the input method.

Under GNOME the following environment variables are set....

[egreshko@f11 ~]$ env | grep -i im
IMSETTINGS_INTEGRATE_DESKTOP=yes
IMSETTINGS_MODULE=SCIM
QT_IM_MODULE=scim-bridge
XMODIFIERS=@im=SCIM

I seem to have run into one issue....  SCIM won't run in KDE with both
ibus and scim installed....or so it seems.  But, both and coexist when
GNOME.  I'm running kdm instead of gdm...not sure if that is having an
influence.

--
Al Gore to Fry: "You fool! You foolish fool!" Guess Who!
http://tinyurl.com/mc4xe7