Re: installing new graphics card FIXED

On Sat, 2009-09-26 at 16:49 -0700, Gerhard Magnus wrote:
> Gerhard Magnus wrote:
> > > I'd like to be able to back out of installing a new graphics card on a
> > > system running FC11. Is there a file I can backup and then restore from
> > > run level 3 if things don't work? I thought this file
> > > was /etc/X11/xorg.conf but it doesn't seem to be there....
> > >
> > If your system works without /etc/X11/xorg.conf, then you do not
> > have anything to back up your system is auto-configuring itself at
> > bootup. If you find you do need one with the new card, then you can
> > just delete it if you go back to the old card.
> > Mikkel
> > --
> Although the new card didn't work I was able to go back to the old
> (onboard) one and reboot without problems.
>
> Now, the matter of the new card. It's nvidia GeForce 6200 512MB -- of
> the Series 6 (I think) which, according to
>
> http://www.fedoraguide.info/index.php?title=Main_Page#Nvidia_.28For_GeForce_6.2C_7.2C_8.2C_9_.26_200_series_cards.29
>
> should work with FC11, although gamers on the Web complain about it's
> being too old and slow. It works fine through the grub menu and the boot
> process up to starting X -- and then the monitor stops getting a signal.
>
> According to fedoraguide a driver for this card can be installed by
> running:
>
> yum install akmod-nvidia xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs.

This (and a lot of other things) didn't work. What finally did work was
installing kmod-nvidia (a guess) and rebooting into the new kernel.

Everything seems fine now. Why I have no idea.

Not to get all Marvin Gaye here... but what's goin' on? Do cards from
nvidia require a separate set of kernels? (If this question doesn't have
a short answer maybe someone could suggest a webpage to look at....)

Jerry