Re: BIOS update

On Sun, Sep 27, 2009 at 10:58:56PM +0400, Hiisi wrote:
> Dear all!
> I would like to update BIOS on my desktop. It has gigabyte motherboard
> and manufacturer provides only exe-utility for BIOS update. I was
> trying to follow this tip:
> http://www.linuxinsight.com/how-to-flash-motherboard-bios-from-linux-no-dos-windows-no-floppy-drive.html
> It is possible to boot into FreeDOS but it's impossible to run
> BIOS.exe. The error is: 'This program can't be run in DOS'
> I have VirtualBox installed on the computer. Is it possible to update
> BIOS from window$XP on virtual machine as guest?
> Thanks in advance!

Most Gigabyte boards (many? or at least the two I own :)) don't require
a special utility to flash the BIOS.

1. You download the exe from their site
2. you find a windows machine to run it on, which simply unpacks its contents.
3. you copy the BIOS image file to a floppy (or in the case of my newer
Gigabyte board) to a USB device.
4. you power on your machine, hit DEL to enter BIOS setup, and follow
the directions there for flashing a bios.

In other words, the BIOS contains its own flash utility.

There should be instructions on the Gigabyte web site (I'm sure I
saw them there myself, just this past July when I built my new system
based on a Gigabyte board.)

--
---- Fred Smith -- fredex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ------------------------ ----
                    Do you not know? Have you not heard?