Re: [Solved] Re: Why update Swahili?

On Thu, 2009-09-24 at 20:04 +0500, gilpel@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> >> Well, in my book, rm is a bash command. It might not be exclusive to the
> >> bash shell, but it definitely is a bash command. Otherwise, maybe you
> >> could tell us what a bash command is to you?
> > ----
> > Try executing the command, 'yum provides /bin/rm'
> >
> > rm is not a bash command per se. It is a core utility that can be used
> > by bash or any command shell (and there are many other command shells
> > other than bash supplied by Fedora).
> >
> > Your book is wrong.
>
> Many are, it seems, e.g.:
>
> http://infocenter.guardiandigital.com/manuals/SecureCommunity/node262.html
>
> http://fedorasolved.org/Members/opsec/common-bash-commands
>
> which proves once again that Google is not always your friend.
----
You create too many disincentives to give you knowledge.

What does this have to do with Google?

If you had executed 'yum provides /bin/rm' you would have had your own
proof that the 'rm' command is part of coreutils - NOT bash. It is NOT a
bash command. Anyone who suggests that is a bash command is wrong. It is
a core utility that is installed not as part of bash but as part of the
coreutils package. It can be used by any command shell. It does not have
any extra powers or usage in bash as it does in any other command shell.

Craig

believed to be clean.