Re: k3b Data DVD writing with GNOME?

On Thursday 24 September 2009 10:27:40 Michael Schwendt wrote:
> Does plain Data DVD file writing+verifying with k3b and GNOME still work
> on Fedora 11?
>
> I had "Verify written data" checked:
>
> [...]
> Writing successfully completed.
>
> It then ejected the disc and closed the tray again immediately.
> The infamous and premature "No medium found" dialog popped up.
> I didn't touch it, because it would close after a few seconds
> when it would recognise the disc it just had reloaded.
>
> In the background, a Nautilus opened for the recognised disc.
> A disc icon appeared, too.
> k3b, however, did not proceed to verifying any files. It waited here:
>
> ---
> Verifying written Data
> ---
> Verifying track 0
> 0%
>

> After 5 minutes waiting without any disc reader activity,
> I cancelled it.
> Does this work flawlessly with KDE.
> Is it a conflict with the default GNOME desktop?

K3B works flawlessly for me on some hardware, but not on others.  It seems to
have problems with some DVD writers, being unable to re-close the door in time
for the verify to continue.  The workaround, if your writer is one of those,
is to change the setting that tells it to eject the disk on completion.
You'll have to manually eject at the end, but that's a small price to pay.
Meanwhile, for the one you've already burned you will have to resort to
running md5sum (or other hash)  yourself.

Anne