Re: Running a Script- and debugging.

2009/9/22 Jim <mickeyboa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> On 09/22/2009 11:05 AM, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 2009-09-22 at 10:52 -0400, Jim wrote:
>>

>>> FC11/KDE
>>>
>>> I have a script to run for setting up a Samsung CLX3175FN, when I start
>>> it it hangs. and doesn't say why , how can I find why it hangs ?
>>>
>>> I'm running it from the terminal as root.
>>>

>> If it's a Shell script (you don't say) try running it as "sh -x
>> script.sh" or "sh -v script.sh".
>>
>> poc
>>

> Thanks Patrick for yor responds.
> Using the sh -x command shows me to where it stopped.
> What app. in Linux could I use that would show the line # and have the Find
> a line in it.
> The Console does not have a "find" command in it.
> Prefer a app. that is not a command line app.  I'm not very good at "vi" and
> some of the others.

I haven't tried this yet, but you could give bashdb a try. Sounds very useful.

Name       : bashdb
Arch       : noarch
Version    : 4.0_0.3
Release    : 2.fc11
Size       : 534 k
Repo       : installed
>From repo  : fedora
Summary    : BASH debugger, the BASH symbolic debugger
URL        : http://bashdb.sourceforge.net/
License    : GPLv2+
           : which follows the gdb command syntax.
           : The purpose of the BASH debugger is to check
           : what is going on “inside” a bash script, while it executes:
           :     * Start a script, specifying conditions that might affect its
           :       behavior.
           :     * Stop a script at certain conditions (break points).
           :     * Examine the state of a script.
           :     * Experiment, by changing variable values on the fly.
           : The 4.0 series is a complete rewrite of the previous series.
           : Bashdb can be used with ddd: ddd --debugger /usr/bin/bashdb
           : <script-name>.

--
Suvayu