Re: Music Appreciation teaching program ??

On Sun, 2009-09-20 at 11:10 -0400, William Case wrote:
> Hi Aaron;
>
> On Sun, 2009-09-20 at 09:04 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > On Sun, 2009-09-20 at 09:01 -0400, William Case wrote:
>
> > If you want a way out solution install "Sugar Development Environment"
> > using yum group install.
>
> It is not that 'way out'.  I have been an interested bystander watching
> the OLPC project for a few years.  What you have recommended gives me a
> very good excuse to get my hands dirty, as it were.  Ever since I first
> tried Linux I have been looking for at least one development branch that
> is trying a radically new user interface.  Starting with what innocent
> children find intuitive, seems radical enough for me.
>
> I checked 'sugar' through yumex and
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Sugar_development
>
> I have read the documentation there.  I have a couple of naive questions
> before I download.
>
> 1) I was thinking of creating a new user on my Fedora 11 and downloading
> 'sugar' from there.  Would this make any difference?  It would avoid the
> Gnome/KDE conflict with 'sugar' wouldn't it?
As you seem to have figured out Sugar is a Window Manager just like
Gnome and KDE are. Once it is the Window manager it takes over the
interface with the machine just as the other Window managers do with its
own applications. Regular applications are available through the
Terminal application.
> 2) Is this enough of a separation between my Fedora system and the Sugar
> system or will I need the XO on a separate partition?  I would think a
> new partition and an addition to grub would not be necessary.  But
> better to ask and be safe rather than sorry.
No separate partition is needed.
> 3) 'Sugar' runs on top of Linux rather than replacing it -- doesn't it?
Yes, just as Gnome does,
> > The use the TamTam applications after you
> > switch from Gnome (or KDE, etc) to the Sugar window manager.
> >
> Ah!  Just read your post more closely.  Sugar is not part of an OS but a
> window manager -- right?
>
> How are window managers switched?  Is it the same as or similar to the
> Medacity/Compiz switch in Gnome?  I.e If I create a new user and open it
> in Gnome for the first time, how do I get 'sugar' running?

If you are using the GDM log-in manager, once you choose the user you
will see at the bottom of the screen a session choice app. Before you
type in your passwd you choose the session you want to run. You get
choices such as Gnome, KDE, Sugar, etc. If you choose Sugar, then Sugar
will be launched. The applications will appear as ring around a big X in
the center. You click on an application to run it. Placing your cursor
on X in the center will show you a list of things you can run. One is
ShutDown which is the way you get back to the GDM screen.
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/TamTam
>
> > You will have to Google TamTam and Sugar to find out how the system
> > works or if you decide to try it e-mail me and I will help yur find the
> > appropriate helpful document. This works only for F10 and F11.
>
> How do I download and install TamTam?  Does one have to be registered to
> view the downloads?  I don't mind registering really, I just wanted to
> get a look at what I might be getting into.
TamTams (there is more than one) are standard applications that come
with Sugar. Put your cursor on an application and it will identify
itself. Up in the right corner there is a box with a circle and a box
with lines. By default you are in circle mode. If you click on the box
with lines you will get the applications in list mode. You will notice
that only the ones chosen as favorites (by clicking on the star) appear
in circle mode. TamTam applications have a drum in the icon. TamTam use
is less that obvious but give it a try,
Try the search place below for further info:

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Special:AllPages

Try it and if your get stuck ask again.