Re: Disk/Partition encryption

On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 1:17 PM, Michael Cronenworth <mike@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Weiner, Michael on 09/18/2009 12:03 PM wrote:
> Recently my place of employment, thanks in part to new HIPAA regulations due to data theft, is requiring ALL laptops to be encrypted

Do you have a link to this new regulation? I also work with HIPAA. I
have not heard of this requirement yet.

Michael -

Unfortunately our IT department just made that blanket statement in an email a few weeks ago. Stating that in order to maintain compliance with HIPAA requirements we were going to be instituting encryption on all clinic laptops to protect the data in case of theft. No specific regulation or register cited, which would be a help. On the windows side, its as easy as deploying a product like Sophos' SafeGuard Easy or truecrypt. On Mac, its as easy as using FileVault, but on linux, with a live system, i am stuck looking for a solution. Now i did this on a live F10 box, but for the life of me i cant remember how. The box has cryptsetup installed, the correct ciphers, dm-*, all the stuff thats required. I hate getting OLD, LOL.

If i find out anything specific on the regulation, i will forward it along.

Thanks :)
Michael