Re: simple way to build rpm?

Fernando Cassia wrote:
> The HP inkjet drivers (HPLIP) is one example of a "fire and forget"
> installer that just detects "where am I? what platform is this? what
> compilers do I have available? is the build environment safe? are the
> additional required packages available? (if not it fetches those)",
> etc.

This is a great example of why packaging *isn’t* something that can be
done automatically. The installer is in the same position as an RPM
package.

To make the installer “fire and forget”, HP had to put a lot of work
into making it “just detect” things. RPM does it better, but you still
need to put the effort into creating the package so that it’s simple to
use for the package end-user.

James.

--
E-mail:     james@ | "I never really understood how there could be things that
aprilcottage.co.uk | would drive you insane just because you knew them until I