Re: Why does laptop battery show < 100% charge

Paolo Galtieri writes:

This is something that has been driving me crazy over the last several weeks.  I have my laptop plugged into AC power and has been plugged into AC power for several days now, but the battery applet shows 97.3% charge.  It has been showing < 100% for several days and never reaches 100%.  The battery is less than 3 months old.  I'm running F11 with all the latest updates.

I would appreciate any ideas as to why this is the case.  There have been no power outages so it seems to me there is no reason my battery should show < 100% charge.

Does your laptop provide any indication when your battery is charging? My laptop has a small orange LED that's lit when the battery is taking a charge.

Battery charging is generally controlled by the BIOS. Linux generally has little, if any, control over the process. All that's happening is that the kernel is reporting on what the BIOS says is happening with the battery: whether it's charging, discharging, or if the system is on AC power with the battery fully charged; and what is the battery's maximum capacity and its current capacity.