RE: Netbook Opinion

> On 09/15/2009 08:26 PM, Joseph L. Casale wrote:
> > Hey Guys,
> > I am about to get a netbook for home/work so it must dual boot Linux
> > and windows. What are some opinions anyone having used various brands
> > have?
> >
> > Was looking at Acer's and Asus books.
> >
> > The Acer Aspire One 751H looks pretty nice.
> >
> > Thanks!
> > jlc
> >

> IF the Aspire One 751H has the 160gb hardrive you would have no problem
> of dual booting.
> Do you have a external CDROM/USB ? I carry a mini Sony cdrom with my
> Asus1000 netbook.
>
> I use the full version of Fedora 11 on a 40gb SSD Asus1000 and it works just
> as good as my Dell Laptop.
>
> As far as what Linux OS i would use use Fedora 11 it has more of the updated
> drivers for your wireless card, video, than does Ubuntu, The debian distro is
> 6-8 mo. behind fedora on drivers and forget about that BS about the
> bleeding edge OS, Fedora 11 is very stable.

I agree about Fedora 11, I have it installed on my Asus EEEpc 1000HE and it is fantastic. I tweaked a few things (like font size, firefox/thunderbird themes) to make the display a little friendlier on the small screen. You would also want to install a flash blocker, I don’t remember the name of the firefox plugin, but it helps a lot for loading pages that have a lot of flash ads (which are hell on the atoms).

You will probably need to tweak the sound options as well (in modprobe) for the sound card, but there are lots of how tos available.

All I have to do for mine is get me an SSD.