Re: fedore love/issues

Hi Paul,

wow that was fast.

Yikes, that should not be happening.  Did you report a bug in
Bugzilla, and attach your install.log and install.log.syslog in the
bug?
I'm too busy trying to recover it right now. Also, I don't have a install.log. I did find a anaconda.syslog if that's what you're referring too.

If disks are set up in a mirror, you're generally restricted to the
size of the original disk.  If you set up *partitions* in a mirror,
though, you have more flexibility.
That was part of my complain ;-), I didn't set that up. It's by mirror it seems.

> 2) During installation, I wish I had the choice to make SE Linux
> optional. As it was with previous releases.

There's practically no reason for it now -- I run in enforcing mode
all the time and I can't remember the last time I even noticed, let
alone had a problem.  That doesn't mean there aren't SELinux policy
improvements waiting to be made.  If you encounter a bug, file it,
because we do send out policy updates quickly to fix them.
My point was more philosophical: I like to have control on whats installed/activated.... that's one of the Linux features I always liked.

Things are generally handled with labels now, which are more flexible
and don't rely on easily-broken device names like /dev/sda.  Also,
there's a /dev/disk/* area you can use which I find is really helpful
when I'm looking for a specific disk.  I don't have to know whether
it's sda, sdb, sdf... which is good, especially now that 187-in-1
media readers (or whatever it's up to today) are so popular!
Ok maybe I'm missing something. If I look at /dev/disk, I would expect that every disk or partition to be listed in every subdirectory there: by-id, by-label.
I'd also expect that every entry there is listed in fdisk -l. Am I wrong?

Hm, that's interesting, because I have an external hard drive on a
machine here that does sleep just like it should when unused.  So it's
not a system wide problem.  Do you have any processes running which
might be using the drive?
Ok that means it's me. I'm positive I don't have processes running on it though. I have to unplug it.

thanks for the quick, and knowledgeable, response.

best,
mauri