pseudo terminals

Hi,
	The command
echo "service httpd status " > /dev/pts/1 is executed on one terminal,
let us assume it as t1.
The echo command is executed on t1 but the output(service httpd status"
is directed to /dev/pts/1 terminal.

What I am saying is that the output  is redirected directly to the
terminal /dev/pts1/1.
The output here is "service httpd status", which is generally a command.
And so it gets executed.

What I want is to get the return value of this "service httpd status" to
the terminal t1.

Anyways this is my requirement, related to my work.

Can we achieve this?

Regards,
Devi.