Re: Can't upgrade f10 to f11: X startup failed, detected GPU lockup

On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 1:39 AM,
n2xssvv.g02gfr12930<n2xssvv.g02gfr12930@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> This system worked fine with both F9 and F10.  I'm using the
>> on-board graphics chip on the motherboard (ASUS M2NBP-VM CSM)
>> which is supposedly an nVidia GeForce 6150LE.
>>
>> Anyway during the early F11 anaconda install it always outputs:
>>   WARNING :  X startup failed, falling back to text mode

> I managed to upgrade using Yumex and the nvidia drivers found in the RPM
> Fusion repositories. Naturally I updated the GUI stuff first, in my case the
> KDE and Gnome window managers, and the X-Video drivers.

I've never used that before.  Do you know of any recommended
documentation any place?

To be honest, this is really a headless server; I only ever use the
video output to do these installs/upgrades.  I'd be happy with
text mode; except it is exceptionally crippled now as to be worthless.

> Perhaps you should try setting the video driver to use to the standard vga
> during the upgrade. The nouveau nvidia drivers are new to F11.

I'm installing from the standard DVD image.  How do you go about
telling it to use a different driver?

If you're referring to the initial menu, I tried the second option,
something about using a "basic" video driver.  It too fails, and
reverts to text mode.  Though rather than a GPU lockup, it complains
about not having any compatible modes.

Whatever drivers were standard in F9 or F10 worked just fine.
Are they on the F11 install image and how can I tell it to
use those instead of the new broken one?

> After upgrading you may well still have your system using the ext3
> filesystem. I also managed to upgrade my Fedora 11 from ext3 to ext4
> successfully, but I still made backups beforehand, not to mention good
> preparations. NOTE, do not upgrade your boot partition to ext4 as grub does
> not support ext4 as far as I know.

I'm on top of the ext3/4 thing.  Thanks though!
--
Deron Meranda