Re: fedora 11 kernel installation question

On Sat, Sep 12, 2009 at 1:01 AM, David Timms <dtimms@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 09/12/2009 07:30 AM, Michael Mueller wrote:
>>
>> by default the "kernel-PAE" is loaded and i need the non-PAE "kernel"
>> loaded; i've been using yum to remove the PAE version and install the
>> non-PAE; a problem arose today when i noticed that while building 6
>> boxes, the mirrored repos have changed; i was getting 2.6.29 kernels
>> and now i'm getting 2.6.30; this change caused a problem in a compiled
>> application; it also means my 6 servers are slightly different
>>
>> is it possible to have the installer use the non-PAE kernel on my CDs
>> instead of the PAE kernel?  this would be the best solution imo
>
> Should be, if you are using kickstart to build the servers.

actually i'm not that sophisticated;  i looked at the kickstart wiki
for the first time yesterday

> You can also config yum to not update particular packages - with risk of
> security patches leaving your machine less secure. There are som versionlock
> and so forth yum plugins.

good to know for future ref

> Ideally, you would create an rpm package for your application.

as it turns out, i watched yum operate up to the y/N query to find
pkgs/revs and dependent pkgs/revs; then i hunted down those packages
on the CDs and copied them; i got the lksctp pkgs from an RPM
repository somewhere in the ether and copied them; i used "rpm -ivh
<pkg>" on 6 rpms to change the kernel and add lksctp; now i'm able to
rebuild fedora 11 boxes without net access

i did this once; i repeat the exercise on a second box today and
hopefully validate the process

> In the spec Require a specific kernel version.
> Run yum update with --skip-broken, so that kernel updates that would stop
> the app working.

these particular boxes will operate without access to the Internet and
updating is not a requirement, but again, good to know for future ref.

> When you know the require package (kernel is updated), bump and rebuild the
> rpm, makine it available (createrepo) in a local repo, and have your local
> repo configured on all the machines.

i'll need some time to learn this but i have an idea of what you are
talking about from research i did yesterday; this, i think, i should
do

> How's that ?

nice; a bit over my head but it gives me something to reach for;
besides, experts should not spoon-feed;

thanks

--
Mike