after today's updates cannot log in

Installed a set of (22, I think it was) updates on F11 this afternoon.

after installation, I can no longer log in. What does that mean, exactly?
here's what it means: I get the GUI login prompt, enter username,
password, it churns a bit, gives the login sound, screen goes black
while the animated mouse pointer goes round and round. after a little
bit it goes blue and I get the login dialog again.

Do the same thing again, same result.

again, and again, and...

round and round it goes. where it stops, nobody knows!

since network manager only brings up networking AFTER a login, I
can't even log in from another machine to see what's going on.
root login appears to be disabled.

so what do I do now?

Thanks!
--