Re: pseudo terminals

On 09Sep2009 19:31, Gordon Messmer <yinyang@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
| On 09/08/2009 09:16 AM, devi wrote:
| >  	I executed a command like
| >echo "service httpd status">  /dev/pts/2 , where /dev/pts/2, is the
| >virtual machine's terminal from the other terminal.  The command
| >"service httpd status" is executing in the virtual machine's terminal.
|
| I think you're mistaken.  If you redirect output to another terminal
| in the method that you describe, you will cause that text to be
| displayed as output on that terminal.  It does not become input to
| the shell (or other program) running there, and will not be
| executed.

Indeed. But if he finds the _master_ side of the pty he can write to
that, and it will be as though typed!

| >What I want is to get the output of the command "service httpd status",
| >executed in virtual machine into the terminal,
| >where  echo "service httpd status">  /dev/pts/2  command was executed
| >i.e to the other terminal.  I have tried different options, but no use.
|
| The command line:
|
|  service httpd status > /dev/pts/2 2>&1
|
| ...will display the output of the command on the second pty.
|
| >Can we use "openvm" command to achieve this requirement?
|
| I think you mean openvt.  As far as I know, it won't do what you
| want.  I believe that it only works on VTs (/dev/ttyN), and only on
| ones that are currently unattached.
|
| It's not clear what you want to do, but maybe the "screen"
| application would be of interest to you.

Also maybe "expect".

It would help if devi clarified what he wanted a little more.

In particular, what does:

  where /dev/pts/2, is the virtual machine's terminal from the other
  terminal.  The command "service httpd status" is executing in the virtual
  machine's terminal.

mean? There's a VM of some kind running?

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx> DoD#743