wierd KDE issue - a replaced home dir created upon login?

Hi All;

I cross-posted to the kde list as well:

over the weekend I was poking around in my KDE system settings and I saw that
the akonadi server was not running so I started it. All was fine until this
morning when I shut down and moved into my home office where I plugged my
dual/second monitor like I do every work day.

Today however it seems that KDE got confused per my login and somehow created
a new /home/kkempter in the place where the old one was. As such all my
Desktop files were gone, and ALL my kde settings such as konsole settings, mail
prefs, etc were gone! Most everything related to my user (even the display
settings, desktop effects, etc) were gone.

Luckily I have backups and I was able with some difficulty to get most
everything back, however I'm quite concerned that this could happen.

A couple of questions..
1) should I be running the akonadi server (it's not starting by default)? what
do I need it for?

2) any thoughts on why the above behaviour would happen?

Thanks in advance