Re: yum: the package manager I love to hate

On Tue, 2009-09-08 at 12:50 -0400, Jake Peavy wrote:

> haha ok, I guess I feel like it's MORE accurate to say yum is a
> package manager because it manages the RPM packages, but I digress.

You make a reasonable argument...

>  Semantics was never my strong suit, thus engineering over law :p

Well, I don't really work on packagey stuff so I am definitely not the
language lawyer for this. At one point "apt vs. RPM" was a favourite LUG
flamewar topic and I guess I am still a little over-sensitive! :)

> Sorry, I wasn't clear enough originally.

No problem, and "nothing" was probably a bit strong - you did have an
install command in there after all. Reading between the lines never was
my strong point.

> And I guess I assumed that yum had the wildcarded behavior built in (seems to me that it should anyway).
>
> Regardless, thanks for the assistance.  I'll remember this next time I go head to head with yum.

Glad it helped!

Cheers,
Bryn.