Re: ati drivers fail -- migrating to ubuntu

On Mon, 07 Sep 2009 15:38:48 -0400
Kevin Abbey wrote:

> I'm interested to learn opinions on this subject from the fedora community.

What ATI card do you have?  The ATI Radeon X1950 Pro in this computer works
great (and the X1550 that I had previously also worked great), WITHOUT the
proprietary drivers.

I installed F11 on this computer and everything "just worked", including the
video (1680x1050 on this 22" widescreen monitor).  No need for any proprietary
driver at all.

Video cards are relatively cheap; perhaps you would be well advised to simply
get a "good one" -- I can recommend either two models above because I know they
work.