Re: debug system freeze

On Thu, 03 Sep 2009 22:24:21 -0400
brian <fedora@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> I think I'm going to downgrade to 10, all the same. 11 has been way
> too big a mess on this box. :-(

Compiling my own custom kernel fixed the problem for me.  I tuned the
kernel options for my system, and it has been solid as a rock since (and
more responsive).  I'm using the 2.6.30 kernels from updates-testing,
recompiled for my system, and they are working flawlessly.  That's
probably a simpler option than downgrading.  Using the instructions at
the link below, it is actually quite easy to compile a kernel.  Once
you've done it once, it is almost routine.  And if you save the config
file, you can just start from where you left off with the next kernel.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Building_a_custom_kernel

Another alternative is to try the F12 Alpha live CD.  If it works,
maybe you could hold out with F11 until F12 goes official.